TESOL Arabia’s ESP Special Interest Group offers an interactive environment that provides opportunities for professional development and for the exchange of ideas among ESP and ELT practitioners in the UAE. With a new ESP SIG chair, the group’s activities for the current academic year will aim at providing a forum for ESP practitioners to share what we have in common and to provide support and encouragement to all those setting out on the ESP road. We hope this year will witness an expansion in the number of professionals who are willing to make their contribution to the group’s activities. We aim to achieve our objectives through workshops and mini-conferences where member-initiated projects and initiatives take the lead. These activities will focus on achieving the following goals:
- Promote effective ESP training in accordance with our principles, and practices that will link with the growing needs of the learning community.
- Help and support Instructors, Program Administrators, and other members who are interested in English for Specific Purposes (ESP).
- Foster the sharing of ideas, expertise, and specialized curricula among ESP practitioners.
- Build connections among interested professionals for the purpose of networking, group learning, identification of challenges and endeavoring to improve practices.
- Promote models of excellence in ESP professionals and foster good research and professional development.
ESP SIG Team Leaders
Upcoming ESP SIG Events
ESP SIG News
As we come to a close on this academic year we need to take time to reflect on what has been a hive of activity for all TESOL Arabia SIGs who have dedicated their time and expertise to provide a wide variety of professional development opportunities for the diverse...read more
TESOL Arabia’s ESP SIG held its 6th Annual Conference on April 30 in Abu Dhabi with Khalifa University hosting the event for the fourth time. The theme of this year’s conference was New Directions in ESP Education: Technology, Pedagogy & Curriculum; two plenary...read more
On October 2nd the 2nd TESOL Arabia SIG Conference was hosted at Middlesex University Dubai. The theme was New Beginnings to reflect that this was the first combined event of the year for the SIGs. The event gave the 9 SIGs (special interest groups) of TESOL Arabia a...read more
The first TESOL Arabia and T-PLUS, Turkey, joint conference took place on 1-2 May 2015 at HCT - Dubai Men's College. > CONFERENCE PROGRAM < For more photos, visit TESOL Arabia Facebook page...read more
Conference Attracts English-Language Instructors from Across the UAE. Khalifa University recently hosted TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Arabia’s 5th Annual ESP (English for Specific Purposes) Conference. This year’s conference focused on...read more
Teaching offers many rewards but perhaps one of the better satisfactions is that of learning on the job. English for Special Purposes is a strain of TEFL that offers learning as you go in abundance. This was one of the basic concepts of Dr Ali Shehadah who gave a talk...read more